Brothers

Brothers

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Surgery Day

We have known for a while that Holden was having surgery today. Justin and I only shared this information with family and few friends. It isn't anything too major and not a procedure that all children will have to go through so we didn't feel like it was a need to inform everyone about it. We are no ways embarrassed about it but to us its one of those things that hasn't been talked about a lot and we will probably always not have an overly open conversation about it. The surgery was to fix a mild hypo spadius....look it up if you don't know what it is. We chose to have it done over spring break so that I can be with him for more than just a day in case there were any complications, he was overly fussy, and for the simple fact that I'm his mom and I wanted to be with him! It was a quick out patient surgery at Wake Med. We were there at 8:45 and were home by 1:00. Our doctor came out and let us know what all he did and that he was fine, then a few minutes later the CRNA came back and said she gave him a little something to settle him down b/c he woke up irritable and that we could go back in about 5 minutes to see him in recovery. For those of you who really know me...those four and a half minutes went by and I went ahead and helped myself to the recovery room to find my child!! He was still sleeping and that was fine I just wanted to see him GEEZ ~
The ride home and for about 45 minutes after we got home was very painful for Justin and I b/c nothing we did would make him stop crying. We both made the comment that we have never heard him cry as much as we did today (consecutively). The 30-45 minutes before he fell asleep we walked, rocked, sang, tried to feed him, give him juice, watch tv, look out the window and then FINALY just went to my room and laid him in our bed. There here spent a good 15-20 rolling, moving, resting on Justin, then me, then Justin, back and forth until he finally let me craddle hold him and pat his back until he fell asleep....it sorta felt like old times there for a minute. Although he was put under and spent some time in the recovery room snoozing, Holden and I went to sleep at 1:30 and finally started to wake back up around 4ish. He did wake up a little uncomfortable and again crying, but Justin was ready with meds that mom had already gone to get and droped off. (Evedently Justin brought in a note to me and held it in front of my face to read when I was in and out of sleep telling me about meds, food, and something else but because I was also groggy on my meds I told him not to leave the house). So his meds, Golfish, applejuice, and Spongebob/ Yo Gabba Gabba helped us pull through and were outside playing by the end of the evening.
He handled it much better than myself!!!!
No bath tonight for obvious reasons, but hopefully we will be back on track tomorrow. Thank you to all of you who called, texted and kept Holden in your prayers!
Cute even if he is in a hospital gown..
.

3 comments:

  1. I know it is beyond hard to watch your baby go through something like that, kids are so resilent-it's the mommy's and daddy's that are scarred! So proud of you and Justin:) He is such a little trooper and has amazing parents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I love me some Hold Him! that hospital gown is adorable. so glad everything went well!
    love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope little man is back to himself now! XoXo! You are such a good MaMa!

    ReplyDelete