Memorial Day was approaching and so was my scheduled c-section delivery date of May 27, 2014. My actual due date was May 30th but decided to have another csection with baby #2. As avid lake goers, Memorial day is the "start day" to most lake goers, although we had been frequenting our lake place since March! We were trying to play it safe by staying in town for Memorial Day since we were so close to my due date/scheduled date. As Saturday came and the weather was beautiful, we decided to go ahead and chance our luck. After all, Rex Hospital wasn't that far away ;) Everything was going as planned and as normal as it could be for me to be almost 39 weeks pregnant. We went on a pontoon ride with friends for a little bit while I enjoyed a bag of peanut M & Ms.
 |
| My swollen feet on the last pontoon ride before baby! |
Once back to our place Justin decided to go take Holden to our friend's dock to play for a little while. I was feeling a little different, nothing major just some "tightening" of my stomach. I decided to go over to my parent's place instead of be by myself. Once at my parents (5:30 pm) I sat of their porch and timed my contractions...they stayed about 5-6 minutes apart. They never hurt I could just tell when they were happening. After timing them for a little over an hour at their house Justin returns and I suggest we may need to go home (with the strong encouragement of my parents!). Around 7pm we are heading home and deciding if we should call a Dr. or not. Cell service one way we go home from the lake is not good so we decided after sitting in Littleton to make a call to the Dr. that we needed to go a different way home. I left a messege for the Dr. on call at the hospital and he called me back about 30 ish minutes later. He said for me to come on in and they would check me out, monitor contractions for an hour, give me fluids and if my contractions were as close as what I say they were they would do my csection tonight. Um ok!?! I knew how close they were, but they weren't hurting, so I kept trying to talk myself out of thinking it was happening tonight! We were all still in bathing suits on our drive home, and I most definitely was going to take a shower before going. I didn't tell the Dr. that but I went home showered, changed, bathed Holden and waited for my parents to get there so we could go to hospital. I continued to montor the contractions, no change still 5 min apart. Justin and I enjoyed our semi quiet drive despite my teary moments ;) We arrived at the hospital around 10, they took me straight back to hook me up to monitors to watch me for the next hour. Monitors showed contractions just like I thought I was having, she checked me and I was not even dilated, but after an hour of fluids and contractions only getting a little closer together, they decided it was time for csection.
 |
| Ready for csection! |
They began prepping me at around 11 and at 12:39a.m. our sweet second baby boy was here! We stilled hadn't fully decided on a name but had it narrowed down to a couple. At this point we sorta decided to see him before we made the decision.
I was in recovery for 45min-1 hour, then finally to my room at 2:30 in the morning. Baby was doing ok but his breathing was fast so they would not bring him to me they needed to keep monitoring him. I finally tried to sleep around 4am, which was pointless because I tossed and turned every 10 minutes. Around 6 am or 7 the nursery nurse came in to tell me that they would be moving him to the special care nursery that it had been over 6 hours of him being in out and his breathing was still way too fast. This was extremely heart breaking, I had not even held him and yet they were taking him somewhere to be hooked up ... that sweet nurse detoured by my room on the way upstairs to let me hold him. She literally let me hold him for what felt like maybe 2 minutes. She said once he was hooked up to everything we could go see him. It wasn't til mid morning before I made the wheelchair ride up to see him. He seemed to be doing a little better but needed feeding tube, IV, and heart rate monitor. Each time going to see him got easier but not something you wish on anyone.
My mom brought Holden out to meet his brother and boy was he excited. He popped in my room and said hey mommy where's the baby? HAHAHA!! So we took him upstairs to meet his brother.
Holden was soo sweet to him, wanted to hold him and touch him. As my sweet nurses saw that they would be keeping him up there for a while they switched my room so I could be on the same floor as he was. Before we knew it his feeding tube was out and I was able to nurse him. This made it a little challenging at night....I would have to wake Justin up to wheel me down there, sit while I fed, then wheel me back to the room. While I know he didn't mind, it was not quite as fun for him as it was for me ;) Finally on Monday afternoon he was released from the special care and could be with me in my room! Soooo excited, I wanted to keep in there way more than I originally anticipated!
We came home with a much healthier boy on Wednesday afternoon!
No comments:
Post a Comment