Brothers

Brothers

Saturday, January 1, 2011

NO more bottles

I have to write about Holden's milk/bottle extravaganza 1. I will soon forget, 2. for documentation/milestone purposes 3. in case anyone ever needs a refresher or help with this problem.
So at Holden's 1 year appointment we asked about when is a good time to start to get rid of the bottle. She told us anytime after 1 is good. With that in mind I immediately started brainstorming when a "perfect" time would be that I could work on it with him consistently and not rely on someone else to have to do it. Right then I knew it was going to have to be over my Christmas break. Spring break and Summer break were just to far away and the attachment would only be worse by then. So we got through Christmas/snow and went COLD TURKEY...yikes! ( I really LOVE not having to wash bottles and have that bottle tree/dryer taking up counter space!!!)
It really wasn't that bad looking back now. There was lots of crying and confusion but we did it. Just to recap...Holden has been drinking out of a sippy cup and a straw for a while now, but only got his milk 3 times a day in a bottle and he didn't like it cold. I put his milk in one of his sippy cups....I tried 5 different kinds of cups and with every single one he acting like I was giving him the worst liquid ever. He would swat at the cup and sometimes at me...I was getting frustrated and worried but decided after 2 full days with no milk he would have to give. NOPE, so I called the nurse line at our ped. office. She told me to get some ovaltine and mix it with the milk and if that didn't work to call back and we would go with plan c. I hit up Target, got the choc. flavor powder and he has been sucking it down ever since. Because he was getting it "flavored" for now I also made the executive decision to not warm it at all! I am not excited that I have to give it to him tasting like choc. milk, but I am happy he is back to getting it in his daily diet and I have convinced myself it will be much easier to slim back on the ovaltine quickly so that it barely if at all has any flavoring.

1 comment: